3.14.2011

Blog Carnival: Spring is in the air...

It's Blog Carnival time :-).  This time Karen hooked us up with a fantastic spring theme!  Thanks Karen :-).  Please leave me a comment if something about my post fancies or inspires you. 

The seasons are once again changing, and with the changing seasons I too change.  I have learned that I am a part of nature, and along with the trees, plants, animals, and our food sources... not to mention weather patterns, there are things about me that are cyclical.  There are also things about me that continue to change and mature as the seasons change, and that as they come back year after year, they continue to evolve.  In this way, I am a lot like a great oak- I lose my leaves, and some of my bark or a branch may be lost occasionally... but as time passes, I continue to return for the spring and I continue to bring something new to my environment. 

So, here we are... spring is sneaking up on us.  I am happily awaiting its arrival and peaking around corners to see if it's here yet.   Every year there are little signs that spring has sprung.  There are the critters that are beginning to peak their heads out.  We see tiny bits of green as heartier plants and flowers begin to push through the soil that has been brown (or hiding under snow) all winter.  At some point the grass suddenly turns from a dormant brown to a lush happy spring green color.  Spring does not just arrive in nature.  Etsy is full of spring, summer, easter wares and lets us know it's that time.  You can find all sorts of colorful finds, and while there are certainly still the share of wool, felt, and mittens... there are less treasuries full of them.  For me, in west Michigan, spring brings sunshine.  There are more sunny days :-).  (The sun tends to hide in the months of January and February.  I can't blame it, many of us would also if we could get away with it!)  Another sure sign of spring is the rise in talk of coming farmer's markets that begins to buzz and in turn my itch for the fresh fare starts to get nearly overwhelming.
  
There is something else that happens in spring.  I feel a need to change.  A need to "freshen up".  This spring, I feel like I need to change my shell to match my insides.  I changed from spending nearly ten years in an academic and professional setting and fighting to find time for my creative endeavors to one that now allows all of my creative, independent, and artistic flare to flow.  The "problem" is that I feel like a dull wool pair of socks that got worn too often this winter, that has a hole, and ... that is not really matching her outfit.  This spring, I think it is time I begin to find, make, create, and buy a wardrobe that expresses to the world who I am and what I do!  Time to freshen up- change out that old stinky sock with the hole for some fresh, vibrant ones!  This spring, it's time to get some sassy back in my step. 

... I think I'll have a salad or two also :-).


Spring is in the air... What are you doing to celebrate? 
I can't wait to hear!

3 comments:

  1. Love the sock analogy! Here's to spring - out with the stinky old socks, and in with the sparkling new ones! :) Cheers! ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. This day before Spring officially starts is grey, cold, rainy and windy. Reading blogs seemed the best thing to do with my time. And I found yours, a fellow EtsyBlogger! I am now thinking about your post and ways I could live more fully a creative life. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Enjoy shopping for your "new socks"!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading :-). I love comments!